Sunday, May 27, 2012

Confessions of a Gardener













Well, I am hot and tired and I think a bit burned as well! It was a scorcher out there! Today was spent with me running to the compost site and getting a big load of mulch, that was over 30 minutes of waiting there. I haven't seen it that  busy in quite some time. I have a lot to do here in my gardens, so please try and look past some of what you may see.
I laid the felt pieces down in back and hauled the mulch back to cover over the top. As I am now typing this, we are having a severe thunderstorm, it is hailing and the whole nine yards! I hope everything is going to be alright. I can't see my stuff right now.
I thought I'd share the progress I made today. This is a lot of work!
My peonies are all starting to bloom now. They are so wonderful and I actually bought another one today! LOL! It's a Yellow peony and it has a white center, it's very unusual! I also snagged two perennial Hibiscus. I could have gotten much more, but I was trying to be a good gardener! My trouble is, I can see LOTS of things I want, like today, and sometimes I will give into those urges, and then, well, I am scrambling to get things all done! So~ on my list of wants, but I will wait are Aruncus~ Goatsbeard! These are SO neat! I have a miniature version of these, but I want the big one! They are great for butterflies, and hummingbirds!  Also, on my list, was milkweed, another host plant for the Monarch Butterflies! I have Butterfly weed, which is also a host plant, but there are many things to be planted to attract them, and I am MORE than happy to do my part! They LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Joe Pye~ or Eupatorium, there was a few varieties there, the one I have is called Bartered Bride, it is white, and I will take pictures of it when it blooms, but mine gets about 7 to eight feet tall. They go nuts for it! They had more Peonies, the one I want to get is going to be an expensive one, it's a Fern Leaf Peony. I actually got to see a real one! I have only seen them in pictures. They were giving one away at the plant swap I went to, but I was not the lucky recipient. They are around 60-80 dollars, so I haven't quite felt led to take the plunge just yet!
I named my one area~ Peony Lane, I like the sound of that so much, I think I will make a sign that says that!
Today, I saw my baby Robins~they were all peeking out of the nest! It was cute as could be!
Awhile back, I had to battle some wasps that kept building nests in my potting shed. Well, after knocking down about ten nests, I decided this wasn't working! I found out that you have to knock out the Queen, she is the one that starts the nest, then the other female wasps come in and take over. Well, someone left a can of spray for me, I found out later, that it was my husband! I can be a bit scatterbrained at times. So, I got all three of them with that spray! I was also worried that they might attack the baby Robins, so I was helping them as well! That spray WORKS!
Tomorrow, I am hoping to measure my veggie area for the amount of fencing I will need to build. I am making a wooden fence, about three feet high or so, and I will paint it white. My husband didn't like the other fencing we had, so he took it down.
I have a lot of Clematis as well, and this very deep scarlet purple just bloomed today! I have two types here, I am training them to grow on the fence. I really like them! Also, my Johnsons' Blue Cranesbill, or hardy geranium is blooming! This is HUGE! I have already split it once, and it looks like it's just loving this area! I also have a pink one, and it's still small yet.
My Rock and Roll rose is opening up more, I like the colors, and how it's like marbleized. My two Snowdrift roses~ they are so pretty.Astilbes, and Peonies, my goodness, there is so much to see!
My smaller crabapple tree, I like it very much. It has little fruits that don't drop, and the birds like those! It will only get about ten feet tall.
I confess, I have addictions to plants! I am already mapping out what else is going on the side of this other bed! I think I see more Arborvitaes in my future!
I so enjoy seeing the changes, every day, there is a change! I enjoy it as much as I can! I have many things to do along the way, and I hope to get some of them done. I think I will try and pick up some red geraniums to put in my wheelbarrow this year! Sometimes, I have things and then I don't always use them to their full potential.
This really helps with my stress too, aside from the working out, and also praying to my heavenly father. I need to get in my Bible more often!
So I hope you all enjoyed a little tour, and I will not stop blogging, but I just have to try and balance it all, and sometimes, that is hard to do.
Happy Memorial Day~ be safe and God bless.

5 comments:

  1. Your gardens are so beautiful. I have no gardening talents whatsoever...so we have a boring house. I can't bring myself to spend tons of money on plants and then end up killing them :)

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Theresa,

    Thank you very much! I have no clue how to leave you a message anyplace else, so this will have to do.
    I bet you could garden, and you just don't know it! I used to kill everything too! I started taking classes and reading books, that was how I started, and now it's crazy!
    And believe it or not, most of the things I have, I have either grown myself, or gotten for as minimal cost as I can. The most I spend on now is the mulch, but even that I get cheaper in bulk than by the bag. If you ever want any tips, I will try and help you. I see you are in Canada, so you get frigid like we do. I have been out cleaning up more stuff off and on. The storms just kind of made things look not so pretty.
    Have a good week too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee you have been very busy! Your flowers and yard are beautiful! glad you visited my blog.
    Have a wonderful afternoon.
    earlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peony Lane looks AMAZING! As does everything else!

    Have a great day!

    Carmen and the Primcats


    PS... did you know you have the word verification turned on? I visit often but rarely comment becaus eI can;t read those words. THis is my third attempt at posting this comment. :(

    ReplyDelete