Saturday, January 8, 2011
A Winter tutorial that ANYONE can enjoy!
I thought I'd share something with all of you ladies that enjoy gardening as much as I do. I still consider myself a new gardener. I have been gardening since 2002, and I really didn't know what would come of it all, but I always loved flowers, and thought I'd give it a shot. When I want to learn about something I enjoy, I will read anything I can get a hold of, and take classes if it's an option.
There are many nurseries that offer free classes, or charge a nominal fee. Let's say, I have quite a number of gardening books, and I love to read them, and I find things at thrift shops or Half Price Books from time to time.
I took a class about four years ago now at the Horticultural Society on Winter Sowing. Some of you may already know how to do this, but for me, it was a whole new world! You can grow seeds in the winter, yes, and once I understood more, I was ecstatic! Especially being on a budget, it's a very economical way to get new perennials, annuals, and yes, even veggies and herbs can be done as well.
You start in February, and by Spring, you will have LOTS of babies to plant in your gardens!
All you need are these supplies.
~ Milk jugs, ice cream buckets with lids.
~ Potting Soil
~ Duct tape
~ A sharp knife
~ A Laundry marker
~ Popsicle sticks (optional)
~ Seeds of your choice
~ Water
Alright, are you still with me? If you use milk jugs, discard the lids, and if you use ice cream pails, keep the lids. Milk jugs need to be clean, take your knife or scissor and cut half way around the jug so that you'll be able to flip open the top. Cut slits in the bottom for drainage. If using ice cream pails, cut slits in the bottom.
Next, place your potting soil inside, filling it enough to where it's not quite where you made your cuts, if you use pails, no need to worry.
Then starting with your perennials first, you place your seeds in the soil. Once that's done, then add a bit more soil just to cover the seeds. I try to do this according to what perennial I am doing. Then you water it VERY well.
Now, take your stick and label it inside the bucket or jug with your laundry marker, or you can label it on the outside if you want to. If you are using the milk jugs, you are now ready for the duct tape. You just duct tape around the spot you made your cut to keep it closed. If you are using ice cream pails, you place the lid on it, and cut several slits in the top of the lid.
Now you are ready to stick them outside!
Yes, you stick them outside right in the snow, and you can do this on any side of your house, with the exception of the North side.
Love them and leave them, until it starts to warm up. Once it starts getting warmer, in the morning, you can take the lids off, and remove the duct tape somewhat to open up the lids so they get acclimated. This is very exciting because you can see all the babies waiting to be planted! At early evening, you can close them back up. Do this until it's consistently warmer and then you are ready to plant them!
Many of them will even bloom the first year, and you will have lots of fun watching them grow!
Now, I mentioned you start with perennials first. You can plant perennials from Feb-end of March, if you want to. Annuals, plant those from March-mid April. Veggies, from mid March- April, and herbs just the same.
If you love to garden, then you also know how expensive some of these perennials can be! I have so enjoyed this, because it allows me to have many flowers without breaking the bank!
Many places are already putting out seeds, so now is the time to pick them up. Also if you get seed catalogs, place your orders. I also will buy seeds at the end of the growing season, and then I'll have them for Winter Sowing.
For example, this year I'll be planting White and Purple Coneflower, English Daisy, Black Eyed Susans, Delphies, Hollyhocks, Columbines, and Peonies. Now what is great, is that many of these are in my garden already, and all I did was harvest them and save them in paper bags. Then I get all these FREE seeds!
Now for me the peonies are going to be a labor of crazy love, for lack of a better term! LOL! I LOVE peonies, they are one of my favorites in the Spring. I think I have somewheres' around twenty five or so. It's a sickness! LOL! Most of mine I either bought bare root, or got them for half price. Peonies are very expensive. I was looking at them one day, when I was working on the garden path we did this past year, and I noticed all these little black seeds. Most of the time, I already cut them back because it's fall, but I had this path to work on, so my cleanup didn't quite happen.
Anyhow, I started thinking, if I collect these, and I winter sow them, maybe I'll get some new peonies! See, I was already excited because I have two new baby peonies that shot off my others, and they don't typically do this often from what I have learned. I started doing a bit of research and found out that I was onto something! SO~ even if it's going to take me about 6 years, I'll get some new peonies! I LOVE that part of it, watching them change and such, I'm as patient as a clam when it comes to gardening.
So, grab your gloves, and imagine what you can plant for your gardens! This is my one garden joy in Winter.
Hope I didn't lose you, but it's loads of fun, so I hope you'll give it a try. I have had 90% success with this! It's definatley worth the effort. Let me know if you decide to try this, and keep a journal, you may become addicted!
Thanks for visiting me here, and remember~ Bloom where your planted!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
wow Renee can't wait to see pictures of your gardens this spring. You are full of knowledge.The pictures showing grass are a bright spot, as we have snow here in ET.
ReplyDeletebetty
Thank you Betty! I LOVE to garden, and if I could, I'd love to someday become a Master Gardener! It's something I enjoy and am pretty good with, my husband says anything I plant is too happy, because they always grow bigger than what they are supposed to! LOL!
ReplyDeleteI am happy to share anything I can with others. I am trying to create a cottage style garden, I think it suits our home and my personality. I love all the old fashioned flowers.
This past year, I planted several shrubs, and can't wait for them to mature more. It will take them about three years to really get going, but I am patient when it comes to that.
I am trying to create a haven not only for us, but for the birds and rabbits too! Although, I am hoping this year, I'll get to enjoy some of my tulips and alliums, those little stinkers ate them!
This is one passion I share with my Brandon! He likes to garden too. We enjoy this together.
He's an excellent bean picker!
This year we want to make a scarecrow for fun.
If you want to use something on your grass that is organic and WORKS well, we use Milorganite.
It's a great product! All the pro golf courses use it, and it doesn't burn the grass, and it's safe for children and pets! It makes your grass grow tighter together and chokes the weeds out!
It takes about three years to get going, but it's worth it to me. My husband loves it, and I had a hard time convincing him to try it, but he' hooked now! LOL!
...I have to save on my PC all these great tips! I will move to the new home in Spring and I'm sure I will not have enough time for thinking about gardening. They will be useful later! :) :) :)
ReplyDeleteCiao Renee and see you on CS Forum!
Laura
Renee
ReplyDeleteI think it is so neat that you took classes & started this venture! It is not easy to grow beautiful gardens! And you learned some real good tricks!
But I do wish you lived closer to me!
See of course probably you can guess, with me I have been gardening & working the fields since I was knee high to a grasshopper, don't remember not doing it!( a long time LOL)
So ya see, in my neck of the woods with perennials, we thin them out & share with neighbors, friends & family! ( saves money from the seeds & they are bigger faster!)
But annuals yep grow them from seeds!Some, I buy just because I can't resist huge annuals by memorial day!
I can't wait to see your gardens! I can't wait to see mine!LOL So eager to smell soil!
Great post!
enjoy the day
Teresa
Renee, I really like this post! Very interesting and I love anything that can save you money! I'll have to try this...I don't know if I will have any success...I don't have what you would call a green thumb, my plants they usually kick the bucket! I am glad though you enjoy gardening and that you took classes...if I could find a wood working class...now I would be in hog heaven!! Good Luck with the peonies! Blessings~Geesha
ReplyDeleteI am glad you all enjoyed this post!
ReplyDeleteTeresa~ I knew you already could garden! LOL! You live the country life for sure! Sigh~ I would LOVE to live closer to you, I'd help do the chores! I don't have many neighbors here I can share things with, just one really. She is the elderly lady I help do things for. She has taught me alot about trees and shrubs! I in turn, have taught her about perennials, roses, and bulbs.
And I'm WITH you on seeing the gardens again, and getting dirty! I am totally at home in the dirt! LOL!
Don't get me wrong, I still buy things, just not as often, and I have to wait for them to be on sale.
Geesha, you can do this! Do you know something? When I had indoor plants, I killed them all! LOL! My husband wasn't sure about doing the outside, but I took the classes and asked LOTS of questions!
The important thing, well, a few is this: Know your soil. First and foremost, having good amended soil is KEY to growing anything. I use good black dirt and two year old horse and chicken poo in my gardens. I have two good friends that allow us to get whatever we need.
Second~ know your zone. I am in zone 3-4. Those of you that are in zone 5, I AM jealous! You have much more that you can grow in your zone than I can attempt.
I can get away with a few exceptions, but I go to great lengths to protect them, so it works for me.
A great book I can highly recommend getting is Perennials with a Purpose. There are many easy care perennials that you can grow, it all takes time and give it a shot! I'm rooting for you, and if you ever have a question, I'll do my very best to help you. I also use shredded cedar mulch in my gardens, two reasons, I don't have to water as often, cedar helps keep moisture in the roots where you want it, and two, the oils in the cedar, repels the bad bugs you don't want.
I'm also with you on the woodworking class! I have built just a few things, and I am no expert, but I am so visual, I just study and study something until I figure it out! Where there's a will, there's ALWAYS a way! LOL!
Thank you, I will be starting to do my sowing soon.
Teresa, if I lived closer to you, that would be a dream come true! LOL! I'd love to help you! I knew that you gardened, I am looking foward to seeing my gardens as well, and also to getting dirty! If there's one thing I am good at, it's getting dirty! LOL!
ReplyDeleteI do have my elderly neighbor that I share things with. The one that I do alot for, she has taught me alot about trees, and shrubs. I in turn, have taught her about perennials, roses, and bulbs.
Geesha~ you can do this! I had house plants, and I killed everything I had! My husband was skeptical when I told him I wanted to garden outside. I took lots of classes, read lots of books, and asked LOTS of questions.
There are a few things that are very important when starting out.
Knowing your soil~ keep it amended properly and you can grow anything! I use good black dirt and two year old horse and chicken poo that I get from a few good friends that allow us to take as much as we need.
Know your zone. I am in zone 3-4. I know my limits, and for those of you that live in zone 5, I am totally jealous! LOL! You all have much more opportunity to grow some things I just cannot. I can get away with a few things, but I go to great lengths to keep them protected.
There is a great book I'll highly recommend. Perennials with a Purpose. Get this book, there are many easy to care for perennials. If ever I can help you, let me know, I'll do my best.
I am with you on the woodworking class! If there was one, I'd sign up! I have only built a few things, and I am so visual, I study and study something until I get it figured out. Where there's a will, there's always a way!
Sorry for repeating myself gals! My internet was being weird, and I thought it didn't go through!
ReplyDeleteSo there are two posts that basically say the same thing!