Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Can you say, This bathroom needs a primitive makeover?


I think my Zipper LOVES the camera! LOL! Actually, this silly guy has major OCD with water! LOL! He thought mommy was going to turn the faucets on for him!
Ok~ this is the main bathroom, the one that people use most often when they are here. As you can see, it lacks any style whatsoever.
I am wondering if anyone has had these types of mirrors in their bathrooms, I would like to remove this, but am wondering about the metal holders that are there. What happens when I take it off? I had first thought to place some type of molding there, but the mirror goes all the way to the vanity, so I'd have no way to attach it I don't think.
This room has potential, I do plan to scrape the popcorn ceiling and then use joint compund to do some type of pattern on the ceiling. I really don't like the popcorn look, I had also envisoned possibly doing this similar technique on the walls as well.
I am planning to paint the walls a color I have used in two other rooms. It's like a coffee brown color. I have blues in here, and thought MAYBE I could paint the vanity and the storage doors, blue as well.
I have new lighting for all three bathrooms, it's much more primitive looking, I just have to install them.
And~ I was thinking, I have two antique white shelves that I can use in here.
I DO like the blues, and since I do have two bathrooms that have these type of colors already, I thought I could work with this scheme.
I am always bad about taking before shots, so here it is, this is the plain jane bathroom! LOL! It will be a process, the thing I am looking foward to the least is scraping the ceiling, but I just can't take it, something has to be done with it.
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions, would it be too much blue if I painted the vanity and the storage doors too, or would you use antique white on these as well? I am a bit uncertain here, but I do have blue in the linoleum, it's a small amount, but there nonetheless.
I always get a little bummed out during this time of the year, no sunshine equals me getting kinda down. I need sunshine, we ALL do, I'd like to fast foward winter a bit to Spring. I just am also noticing more and more, why am I SO very tired ! I am a GO-GETTER most of the time, but lately, not so. I am trying to eat better, ok~ I'll confess to you all, I am a smoker. I have battled this since I was sixteen years old. I have quit many times, once for three years! My husband could have killed me, I could have too! I have cut WAY back, and I do NOT smoke in our home, but I want to quit FOR GOOD! I used to smoke a pack a day, now I am down to about 4-5 per day, and I don't even smoke them all the way, so please pray for me that I can overcome this. Most people don't even know I smoke, my boys are always on me about it, and I want to feel better too, I know it's catching up with me, I will be 40 this year, and I would like this more than anything to be done with it. So that is my one bad habit, and I'd like to be healthy.
I have rambled long enough. Thanks for visiting me here, I enjoy it very much!

10 comments:

  1. I can see why you want a makeover. I saw a Blog a few month ago where they had a tutorial with one of those style Mirrors. They simply added a frame onto it made from Moulding I think. I just can't remember the Blog:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee~ To funny with the kitty in the tub.My cat likes the sink and is constantly wanting the faucet on he can do it himself occasionally.I would use thick trim mold to frame the mirror.You can paint that any color you like.I like tan walls.In my bathroom I used sand between the toes Martha stewart.My bath is fairly new and it's the only room I pretty much leave sparse.The blue sounds tranquil so maybe the blue with sand would work.My mom just got diagnosed with emphazema (sp?) and she's only 54 so she quit cold turkey, Girl get off those things.Mom has no energy now and has trouble breathing has to take a inhaler. Well I got your goodies together,I want to try to get one more little thing done if I have time.Either way I'm shipping it thursday been hectic here the last day or two.Have a good week! Warm Blessings!~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee,
    I just have to say way to go girl for wanting to quit smoking! You can do it>>a pack down to 4 or 5 you are on your way!
    I have to confess though I have never smoked so I don't know how hard it would be to quit>>but I love chocolat>>I know what a time I would have cutting out my Hershey's cravings!LOL
    Your bathroom will look great no matter what you decide>>can't wait to see what you do with it?
    enjoy your day
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girlie...first, thanks for visiting my blog! Now, glad to see you are going to give your main bathroom a "makeover"! I did wanna give you a little tip on that mirror makeover....DONT trash it or take it down!...just take some mirrow adhesive or liquid nail, and add some 1x4 molding to it! It will look like a framed mirror! I would paint the wood first, then just use the adhesive and slap it onto the mirrow front! I would use plastic clamps to hold it for 24 hours! Instant makeover!

    Please keep us up to date with your makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Char... use wood and liquid nail...

    I have to laugh because my bathroom was the mirror image of yours. Kinda cozy isn't it? LOL. If you use blue don't go too dark... it will make it seem smaller. I redid my bath just before we moved. I painted the cabinet black, put a barn red frame with rosettes in the corners, painted the woodwork an off white and the walls a beige/brown. It looked awesome!!!! Sorry no pics because I didn't have a camera then.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you like blue you should keep it. The color sand between my toes with blue Renne suggested sounds like it would be pretty together. Good luck. I am having a time deciding on my fireplace redo. Paint or stain? You should visit & see what you think! My mother who has smooked since a very young teen is trying to quit. She is on oxygen at night & has been told she has at the most three years left. I think you are on the right track. PRAYER! I will lift you up in prayer. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Renee, you will beat the smoking habit. If you did it once, you can do it again. I have never smoked, but I am about 10 pounds over weight and can't seem to lose it. I equate the two as very hard to do. I love the idea of blue and sand/brown. I agree just frame your mirror.
    Are ou taking vitamins?
    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Renee,
    I just did a post on my thrifty bathroom make over. Check it out when you have time. I am a renter and have the same mirror as you and I was thinking of buying some oak wood and trimming out the mirror. Instead of mitering the corners I am going to put square trim pieces in the 4 corners. I am also going to adhere it to the mirror with 3m command tape so I can remove it when I move. Just a thought, in case you try it and want to change it later.
    good luck.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone!
    You know, I did think about the liquid nails, but didn't know if it would adhere to the glass.
    I actually like the idea of NOT having to remove something! LOL! I also like the idea of the command tape, so we shall see.
    I would have taken a picture of my sons' rooms, but they aren't exactly "neat" at this moment!
    I think the brown with the blue will work.
    I was thinking, if I did the vanity, I'll test first, but may try blue with white over it or vice versa. I am not sure yet, it won't be a dark blue, the blues that I have are actually a colonial type of blue.
    I will be heading off to Lowes soon I think. I see samples in my future.
    Thanks for the encouragment and prayers! I'll take any I can get! LOL! I'll tell you all, if you never smoked, you were SMART! How I wish I had never started. I tell my boys it's hands down the dumbest thing Mom has ever done.
    I need to go and get some good vitamins, I know they help, I don't have a uterus so I know I don't need iron. That actually works against you. I will keep you all updated as this goes. I have two other bathrooms to do, and the third one I have some plans for it, so stay tuned! This will test my carpentry skills.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Renee, I can't wait to see your makeover when you get done..........maybe you can inspire me, my upstairs bathroom needs a major overhaul!!!! Love Zipper, we have 1 cat that likes to play in the tub too,as long as its dry HAHAHA!! Talk to you soon
    Tammy
    rusty5paws

    ReplyDelete