Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Meet Mrs. Cora

Good morning everyone! I FINALLY got to finish this little lady! I was waiting for her to dry really well, before I added her finishing touches. I am quite happy with how she turned out.
She is inspired after my great grandmother, Cora. Actually, both of my great grandmothers' names are Cora, but this one was inspired after my moms' grandmother. She had a very hard life, want a little history?
My grandmother was married to a man, sorry I cannot recall his name at the moment, but anyhow, she had three children with him. My great grandfather, Enoch, was also married to a woman, this is my moms' grandfather. They both lost their spouses during the 1918 flu epidemic. He had three children as well.
Back in those days, alot of times, sad to say, one didn't marry for love, but for survival. They married, and my great grandfather was not a kind man, he forced my grandmother to place her children in a home.
I can only imagine how hard this was for her! My great grandfather was a railroader, and a drinker too. From what my mom tells me, even though she had such a hard life, she never complained.
Together, they had 4 children, and my great grandfather also forced her to have several abortions in between.
They had one son, named Edward, my grandfather, Enoch doted on him.
My grandmothers' other children did come around from time to time and visited with her, but it was always when my grandfather was away on the railroad.
My mother loved her grandmother Cora, and my mom was doted on by her, until she passed away when mom was 7 years old.  When I get my family wall completed, I'll share some real pictures of her. She looks to me to have the kindest face, and I would have loved to know her.
This is honor to you great grandma Cora! Rest in peace.
She wasn't a vain woman, she was very plain and practical from what I am told. I placed an old set of child sized celluloid brush and mirror with her, because to me, she is beautiful! Obviously, I am not african american, but I LOVE the black dollies, and they are some of my favorites to create. I really didn't know what this gal was going to be, which is often the case when I am creating, but she told me who she was, and I just love her!
I have just been inspired lately to create, and I am working on some other things, which I will share another time. My hearts are almost completed.
Thank you for visiting me, and have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. Oh what a story - thanks so much for sharing it. Times were very hard 'back in the days' and it would do us all good to be reminded of that occasionally, lest we complain about how good we really have it.

    The doll is adorable and I am sure your great grandma would be proud!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful doll!
    The story of Grandma Wow, so interesting!
    Such hardtimes, what a strong woman! Amazing the times women faced back then & held their tongue!
    I so am inspired by the women of the old in days, their stength, wish I had 1/2 of it!
    Loved the story, love the history, can't wait to hear more!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the doll and your history.Sad but history is sometimes like that.Warm Blessings!~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cool! Very prim and thank you for sharing your story. Have a wonderful day.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Renee, I love the story about Cora. People had it hard back then, but they survived and were strong for it. Your doll turned out well, very talented. Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful story and doll!Stop by for a chance at my giveaway of a year subscription to Taste of Home magazine, it's ending in a few days!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete