Monday, December 6, 2010
A Mothers' Love~my story.
I thought I'd share with you some of my story of my boys. My oldest is Kyle, and my youngest is Brandon. They were both born in August, 4 years and 4 days apart, Brandon was born on our anniversary.
First off, I was told I couldn't have children due to alot of female issues, so imagine my suprise when I ended up expecting!
No one tells you what to expect. You have dreams and hopes for your children, but when you discover other issues happening, it is difficult to discern, and you mourn to a degree.
I knew SOMETHING wasn't right, but my son at two only had five words and everything else was screaming and pointing. He was always VERY active and we got him into a special ed program, where he received speech and OT three days a week. No one said anything about Autism.
By the time he was 5, we had moved into our home, Brandon was almost one, and he was such a breeze, because he was so calm and he would eat! Kyle was VERY picky and was always below the 5th percentile.
The school said we had to have a diagnosis in order for Kyle to get services at school, so we went to the Uof M's nuro clinic, two weeks of testing, we finally sat down and got a prognosis: Your son is in the Autism spectrum, and by the way, we've been observing your younger son, and we believe he has it too, we'd like to test him.
We finally had an answer, but we didn't really understand, and my husband had a VERY hard time with it. We actually went to another specialist for both boys and the conclusion was the same, Autism.
When I am learning about something, I will pick up anything I can get my hands on to read so I can learn and understand. We had the boys in intense therapies 6 days a week, for the next 6-7 years or so. I also did things at home, and I worked full time then too.
It was very hard, we have no family here, not really, so it was always us.
I still to this day am fascinated to listen to young children speak, my boys didn't have these milestones, it was signing and pecs (picture symbols) which we still use to a degree for Brandon, as he is very visual.
I have participated in every type of therapy there is with my boys, and I believe that all the work has helped them immensly, plus I believe that God has his hand in this as well.
I never was angry or asked why me? Part of me is concerned for the future, like who will look out for them. Brandon says I have to live forever! I plan to try, because I do have concerns. No one is going to care for them the way we do, I know that, and I try not to borrow it, but it creeps in.
They have came so far, and I am SO proud of both of them! We homeschool Brandon, and he is really learning, he learns in a different way, but it's so much better than the middle school.
Minnesota has some of the best programs, but some of the teachers shouldn't be teaching these children.
We have had our share of issues, it was so bad, we were sort of forced into this, but you know, it really has been rewarding, and Brandon feels more secure now.
We may try high school next year, they have a better program, his best friend is there too.
Kyle will graduate this spring, and then he will go into a transition program. Did I mention how proud I am? We still face challenges and discrimination from ignorant people from time to time, but this mama doesn't back away!
There is a saying I have in their rooms, perhaps you have heard it, but I'll share it with you. Whenever I look at it, I cry. It says " You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out like heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes". That's how I feel about my boys, they ARE heroes, they have overcome SO many challenges, and I just love them so very much! My husband does too, but you know, most men don't always show emotion well. I am so thankful for my husband too, we have been through alot, and we still love each other, and he's my best friend!
I hope this hasn't bored you all too much.
Thanks for visiting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a beautiful post. I have worked in various group homes the last 15 years. I have worked with various individuals with Autism who were shipped off to institutions at young ages. I often wonder how different their lives would be now if they had grown up in loving families instead of in a sterile, sheltered institution. Your boys are blessed to have such loving dedicated parents. I hope you do live forever! :)
ReplyDeleteSweetie~ I'm sure with your determination you can live forever.LoL..You are a wonderful mama so many mothers of "normal" children don't appreciate their gift and you appreciate your gift everyday.Warm Blessings!~Amy
ReplyDeleteRenee, a beautiful heartfelt post. I know your boys have not only brought so much joy to you and your husband, but others as well. My life is so much richer having worked with children with disabilities. The state of Tn,(my county is a leader) has done so much for children with Autism. There is much to be thankful for in that today, the knowledge is there to educate both the children and the parents. Parents like you all are wonderful. Remember rude people are everywhere, don't let them get to you. You are your childrens advocate. They are certainly handsome and I bet they are fun! I have friends in the same situation as you and I know it isn't easy. Hang in there and keep on doing the best you can.
ReplyDeletebetty
Very touching story!
ReplyDeleteYour love for your family!
What a wonderful job of raising them!
You should be very proud of your self a wonderful Mom!
hugs to you,
Teresa
I wanted to add,
ReplyDeleteNothing boring about the post!
Just so inspired!
thank you!
Teresa
Thanks ladies, I don't know why I added that at the end, but it was kinda long winded, but it's kinda the shortened version! LOL!
ReplyDeleteYeah, they're pretty good looking boys I think, but I am sorta biased! LOL!
They sure have kept me busy, and I am pretty sure most of the gray hair I have is from trying to keep them safe! Especially, when they were younger! Another post for another time! LOL! Really, though, I wouldn't trade my life, God has blessed John and myself to be the parents to these boys, he must have known we could do it!
Yes, I am the way too overprotective mom! LOL! Most of the time, my older son has his friends here because I want to know what is happening! His friends like it deep down, or at least they humor me!
I have more interesting antics to share later on. I have written down most of them, because they are memories that I will have.
Awhile back Brandon said "Mom, will you be waiting at heaven's gate when I get there? Will I know you?" Talk about choking back tears! That boy is a DEEP thinker! He is my worrier.
Here I go again getting lengthy.
Have a good evening everyone!
Renne, May your strength inspire others in so many ways!!! I have worked with children with autism and they are no less a person then you or I. All children are amazing blessings. The parents that choose to be a real parent are heros, they are learning that from you!!! Thank you for sharing ~Kimberly
ReplyDeleteThank You for sharing this story.
ReplyDeleteYou and your husband sound like wonderful parents.
Blessing to you all as you go through each accomplishment.
Hugs, Audrey
Thank you for your nice comments ladies! I appreciate you visiting me here!
ReplyDeleteYou are right Kimberly, they are no less a person than you or I. Some people have no couth at all, believe me, I could tell you all some stories! This is one area God has to really work with me on, because I have absolutley zero tolerance for ignorant people. I AM human! LOL!
I am far from perfect, but I try to do my part, I fall very short most of the time, but one thing I am not is a quitter! I am just thankful the Lord is so merciful!
Have a good day ladies!
Renee,
ReplyDeleteJust stumbled across you blog and was looking around when I came across this post. Being the mother of a 25 yr old with Down Syndrome along with 20 and 15 yr old boys, I read your journey and found much of it so familiar. You strength and dedication to your boys is evident in your post. God truly chose the right parents for these "Heroes". May God bless you and your family.
D