I thought I would share with you this recipe I have from one of my best cookbooks~ Southern Living.
I have had this cookbook for at least 8-9 years, and I have made some delicious things inside it's well-loved pages!
3 ripe avacados
1/4 c chopped onion
1/2 c chopped tomatoes
1tsp salt
1T lemon or lime juice
Fresh ground black peeper
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced
Peel the avacados, and cut into chunks, basically you have to be able to mash them up, this for me was the hard part. I couldn't STAND the way it made my hands feel! LOL!
I used a medium sized bowl~ and a few tips. You don't have to use jalapenos, I got a jar of pepperoncinis, they are already sliced and all that, and a little spicy, easy peasy, I also added a bit more tomatoes.
I used sea salt as well.
Any how~ you mix it all together, and let it sit awhile in the fridge. It is pretty tasty! I have tortilla chips that we had them with, it's VERY addicting!
I have made it twice already!
Hope you all enjoy this. I also used lime juice.
Have a great day!
Oh~ I went to the wellness appointment, what a BIG disappointment that was! It was this place that sells Herbal life, and the stuff is VERY expensive, and not at all what I was looking for! I wish I had known, this woman never said she sold Herbal life, so I am a little miffed because I wasted part of my day to do this.
I wanted a bit of help with making good food choices, so I guess I will look elsewhere. I already KNEW I was considered in the obese category, not easy for me at this time, but it is what it is. She said a person is supposed to drink half their weight in water each day, so if you weigh 200 pounds, then you drink 100 oz of water. Well, I would be FLOATING! No can do! I drink water, I know it isn't enough, but I drink about three-four big glasses each day.
Protein is evidently where it's at. I am also pre-diabetic, so I have to watch it anyhow. Cereal, even the healthy type is evidently a big no no. Which explained why I get so sick after I eat it.
I guess it wasn't a total loss, but I was mad because they want you to spend a small fortune to supplement two of three meals per day. Well, I can't do that, since it would add more to my grocery bill, once my husband understood that, he was like WOW! I said Yes, WOW!"
So that was that, and I will get off my soap box now!
So far Kyle has had a good first week at his job. He has been making boxes and then I think they just move them around to different places to try out different skills and see where they best fit in. I know he is looking forward to getting all the training done with and having a REAL paycheck! It won't be a lot at first, but come summer, he will work every weekday.
That is pretty much all I have going on, except it will be my hubby birthday this Sunday, he will be 48. Gotta pick up a Dairy Queen cake tomorrow, it's his favorite. YUCK! I don't like them. I got him a new ball cap to wear, and the boys got him a card. He is not high to maintain! LOL! Give him anything Minnesota Gophers, he is liking that!
Have a great day everyone!
My Sara lives on recipes from Southern Living and the Pioneer Woman.
ReplyDeleteMy guacamole recipe is much simpler and feeds just us 2.
1 avocado, chopped and mashed
juice of 1/2 lime, pinch of salt, heaping tablespoon of sour cream--all mixed well and a couple twists of red pepper flakes from the grinder. when our garden is in season, I add chopped red onion and tomato around the edges.
simple and tasty.
but I have to admit, I just love avocado on about everything!
Glad Kyle is getting along well with the job.
I'm not a DQ cake fan but we do what we can to please our sweeties. Happy birthday to him!
Sweet of you to share but alas im not a guacamole fan :0( Glad all is well with you and yours and a Happy Early Birthday to your sweetie! Have a great evening !hugs lilraggedyangie
ReplyDeleteSounds like a yummy guacamole recipe Renee!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
Hope your hubby has a wonderful Birthday!
Prim Blessings
Robin
Renee I don't think all that water would be good for you at all. I have been reading where they have reduced the 8 glasses per day. The only way to lose weight is less in and more out. I think you need to be so proud of your quitting smoking, and lose what you can, and don't stress over it.lol I am surprised to hear you are a Southern Living fan! Love their recipes and use a lot of their cook books. Have a great day my friend. I love dairy queen cake. But I like any cake!
ReplyDeleteThis was fun. I may have to consider it sometime, when life settles down.
ReplyDeleteToo bad about your wasted time. I was diagnosed last year borderline diabetic and the insurance co called me obese at 36 #'s overweight. I put myself on a no carb diet the first month, then a really low carb diet. I started walking every day, building up slowly. I now walk over 3 miles just about every day. I've lost about 40 #'s and eat better than I ever did before. I take supplements too. It costs me about $75 month for those. The best thing to come out of all my health issues, is that I've become an avid label reader. A good rule of thumb to follow is that heavily processed foods are usually bad for you. Try more complex carbs like whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta and brown rice. I cut out all refined sugar too.
ReplyDeleteI'm not saying in the year since I changed my eating habits that I haven't had desserts...it's just now the exception and not the rule. Anyway, good luck on changing your eating habits...it can be hard.
D
Forgot to say...I just love guacamole. Will have to try your recipe out.
ReplyDeleteD
Renee,
ReplyDeleteThis is something Jason would love although I don't care for guacamole. :)
When you have to change eating habits, not only is it hard, but it's hard on the grocery bill too, I think!
Glad Kyle likes his job!
And reading your posts below, I think you could keep your valances and add wood blinds or prairie curtains would be pretty there! I LOVE that pew! That's the first thing I gasped when I looked at that! Are you sure you want to sell it??? :)
Oh yeah...I emailed you....twice! :)
Hope you have a great evening, girl!
Tammy
Hi Renee,
ReplyDeleteWell I'm not much for Guacamole Dip but yours sounds wonderful...I'm LEARNING to like it.
We had Mexican on Thursday and I actually left the Guacamole on my Chimi and ate some of it...but yours looks just awesome...I copied down the recipe and will try it.
Glad Kyle is liking his job...it's hard for them at first I know but Summer will be better for him for sure.
Late with a birthday greeting for your husband...but hope his Dairy Queen cake was delish!!! They aren't my favorite either.
My cousins daughter sells that things you mentioned...I've been invited to a few of her parties and always refuse going...way too expensive.
Hope you find the right balance for you - dieting is not easy and so we need to have it be fun too.
Blessings,
Karen