Monday, February 13, 2012

Where do you spend most of your time?




Alright~ ASIDE from the computer~ I am generally almost always in the kitchen! LOL! I have not really shown you too many pictures, maybe none at all.
The one thing I wish I could have~ a BIGGER kitchen. Alas, unless we hit the lotto, that isn't going to happen! I can tell you, there isn't much I love about this room, we built in 98, and I was really not sure what direction I was going in decor wise. My boys were young then, and I wasn't focused on that at all.
I can tell you, I am happy to have an operational kitchen though, so I don't want to seem too picky.
I guess Zipper had to sneak into the shot! I stepped on his tail earlier because he gets under my feet so much! Silly boy!
Well, I have oak cabinets, oak everything. Oak is not my favorite wood, I know it's good and durable, but I am a pine, beat up, distressed kind of gal!
We do have a plan~ we are going to hopefully be able to find someone decent to do our stairs, this is a priority. I for one, am tired of looking at compressed wood! This won't be easy, I don't think that people like doing stairs, so I am starting my search. I don't know how much this will be, but I know it will be $$.
If I had the money, I would like to replace the linoleum in the kitchen and dining room, again, not sure how much that would be, I have thought about painting the floor, and I may do it if it's not a reachable goal.
I also would like to get rid of this countertop~ I have thought about painting it, and I may do that as well, along with the cabinets.
With all that being said, I need to come up with a color, I am thinking a neutral like putty, but I still think I'd like a pop of color like red. Do you think it would look funny to have two colors? Like my pantry~it's off to the right~ I was thinking would it look silly to have it painted red and everything else would be putty?  I also was happy to find out that I can simply replace the locks in our current pantry to keep our youngest son out of things! Somewhere along the way, we have lost the keys to this pantry! I really would like to have canisters. I just don't have much space on my counters. It's hard~ I have a microwave, I would love to move it someplace else, but WHERE? The convection oven is used often, coffee maker~ a NECESSITY! LOL! I am also studying up for my next one already~ I know this one won't last long, not in this house! My husband wants a Kehrig, and I am debating on a DeLonghi, he said that you can still make full pots of coffee even with a Kehrig, is this true? I thought it was individual things. We'll see about that.
My can opener, well, that is debatable, I don't know if it's going to last much longer, we'll see, it's been on the fritz! Tool holder, not my favorite, but again, it's functional,  and then I have my toaster which is used often. Where in the world could I possibly put a set of canisters?
It would be nice to have them handy,right now, I have to store my staples in the hall pantry. I need to spend a few days to organize. I have SO many kitchen things that aren't out all the time, but I make do. I have also gotten rid of things I don't use all the time. It is hard when you like to cook and bake like I do. It is one of the ways I show love to my family and also sometimes friends. We don't entertain much, we just don't have the schedules for that.
I really don't see where else I could put the microwave, it has to be close to use. All of these items are pretty much used every day, for the most part. I need to win some lotto! LOL!

Today, I am just putzing around our house, doing laundry, washed up the dishes for now. I think I will take a trip to Menards today though, they have that 11% off sale going on for three days, my husband stopped there yesterday and picked up more pellets for the stove, so we need that rebate! I also am going to purchase some of those 3M picture strips. I want to start planning out my family photo wall.
Mostly, I WANT to SEE some results, I feel like I have been so unproductive for the longest time now. I don't like that, but sometimes I just don't even know what to do, or where to start.
Seems to be the story of my life lately.
My husband loved his new hat! LOL! He is SO easy to please. Thankfully! He liked his card from the boys. He liked his cake. He went bowling, and was excited because he bowled three games of 200. I know that is good, I like to bowl too, I just don't do it very often. He is on a league, it's 5 minutes from home.
I have to help Brandon with his Valentine card tonight. Hmm~ this will be interesting! LOL! He is very excited for Valentines' Day! I wish they were little again!
I may try and also do a bit of creating today. We'll see. I need to be able to keep focused. That is the key!
Tonight, we are having pork chops, mashed potatoes,(Smart Balance) instead of butter, and California vegetables. Maybe some rolls~ not sure yet.
Thanks for stopping by.

9 comments:

  1. I don't know if you were exactly looking for some advice on your kitchen or not, but since you posted pictures, I'll share some ideas that popped into my head....
    It looks like you could go two directions without spending to much money if you wanted a bit more countertop space. THe first would be to lift those appliances off the countertops(the microwave and oven) with small wood stools(could be simply homemade with 3 pieces of wood and painted and distressed or bought little prim stools). This would allow you to utilize the wall space you have above them by floating the appliances there and you would have space underneath for small wood boxes or jars to contain the kitchen clutter.
    Or you could take the doors off that cupboard on the left and use it as an open prim pantry. Put the microwave in it and get some pretty glass cannisters to store your pantry staples. And maybe have room just to have your pretty everyday dishes show. That would free up a ton of space below for a large cannister set if you want.
    Also, you could put a shelf across the middle of the window to display stuff. I did this myself in my kitchen and I love it.
    To cover the floors, put a braided rug or make a painted floor cloth(use the backside of a cheap piece of vinyl flooring, paint it and seal it). I made some for my floors and they hold up really well.
    Hope that helps some :)
    I love all your little old stoves up above the cupboards!
    Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be there for supper! What time and I will bring the rolls! You make the dessert! Chocolate perhaps?lol Your kitchen is grand compared to mine and I designed mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Supper sounds yummy...move over, I'm coming to dinner! lol.
    Have a lovely day! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. The putty color sounds prim pretty. Much like your first comment I was thinking using stepping stools or shelving to have more than one level. As far as red pop I was thinking the stepping stool shelving & some prim fake cabinet to hide your much needed kitchen appliances painted red like your ladder hanging from your ceiling would be cool. I built a hollow box that looks like a small chest with fake drawers to cover my sewing machine. It is on a shelf in my kitchen. I have seen painted wood screen doors added to pantry openings. Just some thoughts. If you could make your own & paint them it would really save on $. I think a woman should have the kitchen of her dreams since she spends most of her time there. Good luck. Blessings!
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to spend most of my time in the kitchen. I also like to cook and entertain. Well, I did since my husband has died I spend very little time there. Looking forward to see pictures of your changes.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would say the kitchen is one of my fav spot to be. I love to cook, so an effecient kitchen is a must. I do not think size matters as long as it works. I know our Home Depot and Walmart too, has this new redo cabinets in a box. I am a firm believer in painting cabinets. I found your blog while browsing. I am your newest follower. I hope you will stop by and visit with me and follow along. Blessings and I think your kitchen is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, most of my time is spent in the kitchen too. I'm with you on the oak vs. pine. My hubby is an oak kind of man though. Our home is built with lovely oak all over and half way up the walls. It is beautiful but I would love to see it painted... hubby says never! =[

    I think putty is a nice wall color and red is the perfect accent color! My walls are mostly the putty color and all my pieces are either red, mustard, or black (my favorite colors) and all of these colors blend in well with the putty. I sure love the prim pieces that hide things like the noodle boards and such but we use our kitchen so much that these pieces are more in the way. I have moved my counter top things around till I finally got what works good for me. For canisters, I bought the round glass canisters with the black metal lids at Hobby Lobby when they ran them 50% off. It took me a few months to collect them, but I have 3 and they are in the area of the kitchen where I do all the cooking and baking. So all that to say this... just move things around until you have what works best for you. Don't give up, keep trying and when you finally find it, trust me... you will know! I hope you find what works best for you!

    Have a wonderful week~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Renee,

    Not sure which things you were talking about painting putty and which ones red, but those colors work well together. I love red! Here's a link to a friend of mine that just painted her countertops. They are beautiful and it was so inexpensive! They look like granite! Check it out!

    http://creeksidecreations.blogspot.com/2012/02/granite-from-bottle.html

    Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Renee... OMG!!! I spy with my little eye, many wonderful child's toy kitchen pieces up above! Love them! OLM

    ReplyDelete