Thursday, April 28, 2011
April showers/snow brings May flowers~ is that the way it goes?
Welcome to Spring~ I think it is! LOL! It is a bit slow here, but I guess it will arrive when it's ready! It has rained and snowed, so it has been very wet and still is, but I start to get really excited this time of the year.
I decided to get out and take a few pictures of things happening around here.
This is the first bed you see when you come in back, it is still not done. I really need to do a lot of figuring here. It needs rocks against the fence due to the neighbors' grass growing into our yard. I know, sounds trivial, but it's frustrating to have grass coming in your things. We tried using timbers, but in some areas, it isn't working as well due to the settling of the ground. I think some bigger sized rocks might work out, I don't know, I may go and talk to some of the Master gardeners and get some suggestions.
I also noticed that the birds have been enjoying the potting shed! I looked out the other day only to see birds flying inside, they were looking out the long, window there! LOL! It was cute, so I didn't think much of it, but I noticed that they have been going back and forth a lot! Then I discovered WHY~ they are going to nest here! I am not sure what birds they are yet, but they appear to be smaller birds, I am a newbie to learning the different types of birds. It's not a robin, chickadee, or cardinals. I think it might be a type of finch, I'll have to consult with my expert birdlady friend! So, it appears that I will be sharing my humble abode with a pair of birdies! As long as they don't POOP inside, we'll be just peachy!
In one of the pictures, the last one~ you can see one of my Viburnums~ this is the Nannyberry, one of two I have, it is doing quite well I think. I have 6 Viburnums, and I am very excited to see them perform this season. I have clean up to do and soon, I need it to dry out though. I hope you all aren't bored with this type of thing, but I DO love gardening, and am excited to see everything coming to life.
I have several new shrubs that I can't wait to see bloom, so I am kind of hoping it warms up a tad more. I have been saving my coffee grounds for months now, and egg shells too. I like to place them out and about to keep slugs out, also beer traps work good too.
We have a very good sale going on at work this week on Preen~ so I am picking up the Organic mix, along with some other supplies. Last week, we had a great deal on Bayer Tree and Shrub Fertilizer. If you have trees or shrubs you want to really protect, this is an EXCELLENT product! I am using it on all 4 of our trees, we have three Ash trees, and this helps prevent Emerald Ash Borers from invasion. It's good for one year.
I have my supply for this year and next year already!
Our yard is a work in progress, much like everything else. It's not magazine worthy, but it's not the worst either! LOL! There's just much to do, and I wish I had started gardening sooner, although I have been doing it awhile now. It's just not long enough! I will share more of the front yard later.
I am a tad frustrated, we put a walking path in, and I think we will be tweaking that, there is grass coming up through all the pea gravel! We dug down and leveled it all, our grass is TOUGH! So, I don't know what we'll do about this yet. I try to steer clear of chemicals, I may pull it all out and lay down some heavy black plastic, and then put it all back. Who knows! Any suggestions?
I told my husband I feel like the Clampett's sometimes! It just seems like things never quite go how I would like them to. Maybe I am asking too much.
I just wanted to add, I feel so terrible for all the people in the south that have endured this horrendous devastation! I personally feel like we will be seeing more things happening, I am not trying to be a dooms dayer here, but I really do feel like we are living in the last days. Jesus will be returning soon, we shouldn't fear, we should rejoice and pray for souls to be saved. I try not to live in fear, I know he is with me, and he hears my voice. He knows I am tired and weary, I can't wait to be lifted to the clouds to greet him, to praise him, oh what a day! There is no love like his love, but he is a gentlemen, he doesn't come in without an invitation, so won't you invite him in to your heart and life? He's waiting.
I am sorry to jump around, my brain is all over the place. No one would want to be in my brain! LOL!
And then I lose my train of thought~ always a treat! Oh~ I finished a swap I joined in at Prim Pantry~ I am calling it Ameripalooza! It's all Americana stuff, so I mailed that out yesterday, via post office. I hope my partner will like her things.
I am also in a swap hosted by Amy from Bumblebee Lane! I am excited about this one too. I have a very sweet partner, she and I have been in touch with one another. I am just about finished with her things, and hope to get them mailed out sometime next week!
I am trying to plan some days to take off from work every now and then. I have the tendency to be a workaholic, and I feel guilty for taking time off. I know that sounds silly, but it's true! I am trying to learn that it's alright to take time off now and then. I am very regimented when it comes to work. At home, it's a different ballgame.
I need to spend more time with my boys, and my husband and I haven't really seen much of each other lately. We work different schedules, and it's been like this for most of our marriage. Once in awhile, we get an urge to really spend quality time, so we may go out for dinner or something like that. I don't know if there's anyone else that can relate to any of this, but this is my life. LOL!
We currently have been homeschooling our youngest son, but it is really hard to get it all in each day, and work and do everything else, so we will be enrolling him in the high school special ed program for the next school year. We are past the experience of the middle school, and he is excited about going.
Lots of changes in our home. Kyle will be going in his new program, so we're on the lookout for some type of job for him, looking into SSI for one or both of them, I don't know what we will face, but I just have to trust that the Lord knows what our needs are. Kyle is very nervous and I understand, but he is not on his own so it's getting him to calm himself down.
Sorry this is kind of long, guess I had more to say than I thought.
Thanks for visiting me here, I appreciate each and every one of you! Don't forget to check out my selling blog too! Finally BIL got the link up for me! YIPPEE!
Have a great rest of the week!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think you are so right. We are living in the last days. When I woke today & watched the news of the south I was moved. I thought of the verse: If my people called by my name would humble themselves & pray I will heal their lands. I so enjoy gardening. I think no matter how long we have been doing it we will always say I wish I would have started sooner. I save my coffe grinds & egg shells for the same reason. I home schooled one year. It was hard working 40 hours on top of it. I really have been thinking of home schooling my youngest starting this fall. I no longer work out side the home. Sounds like wehave much in common. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteLara
Beautiful back yard. You have done a great job....and nothing has even bloomed yet. It will look wonderful when spring really arrives :). Here in central Ontario, it is freezing cold today and drizzling. But who can complain when you see the complete devastation in the south, or hear the numbers out of Japan. I believe fully we are in the end times. I am glad to know that God is in control and we need not be fearful. Hopefully many will turn to Jesus.
ReplyDeleteRenee, Your yard is looking great, you can tell you put a lot of love into it. I can just imagine what it will look like when the blooms come.
ReplyDeleteYou sound like a very busy person. Take some time for yourself. Life is to short.
Thanks for your nice comments. You are a very nice person also and I'm glad I'm getting to know you.
Prim Blessings
Robin
Renee
ReplyDeleteThe yard is looking so pretty~ green!!! I love your potting shed!!
smiles
Teresa
Hi Renee, I always love reading your posts and never tire of hearing of your gardening adventures. I just wish I had your energy!!8-)
ReplyDeleteI too am thankful to have Jesus as my saviour and have Him to lean on and go to with my every need.
Have a great week-end!!
Blessings,
Lorna
Your words strike a spot in my heart. I am ready for the rejoicing. Thank you.
ReplyDelete★Linda★
Please consider getting rid of word verification to make commenting easier.
Thanks everyone for the nice comments! My hubby told me he found another chair for me, it's older and needs re-done! So, I will do this and place it somewhere! Maybe one of the boys' rooms.
ReplyDeleteHe will be bringing it home tomorrow.
I will find something to get into here today, I can't work outside, it's raining.
Got my Preen for both flowers and veggies, so I am ready, need it to NOT rain though! LOL!
Have a great weekend!