Thursday, April 14, 2011

Signs of Spring~ but hey~ it's Minnesota~ Yeah, you betcha!





Good morning! Well, I thought I'd share some things starting to come alive in my gardens. I hear the weatherman say we will get some of that stuff, you know, that stuff that none of us want! I may have to cover a few things tonight. Well, I do love to garden, and I still have a lot of work to be done. Removal of grass being the biggest part of it. I have found a simple solution, but it IS time consuming. I have found though, it saves my husbands' and my backs, so I will continue on this year.

I am not trying to get in any magazines so I am in good shape here! LOL! Being a plant addict, I tend to buy and worry later about where I'll put them! It's getting better, but I have a plan, it's just I am not digging sod!
The first thing to come alive here is my Helebore. It's in the second photo. These come in beautiful colors, but mine was a unknown as it wasn't blooming when I purchased it. It's white and I just really enjoy it. I'd like to get a few more of them.
The next things are my daffodils, now this is just a few varieties, I have others, but they are just up about three inches or so. I so enjoy their happy colors! I tend to clean up some things in fall and leave others for food interest for the birds. I know it may be hard to tell, but the next photos are of some of the shrubs I have planted. These are new ones, so I am quite thrilled to see how they will do this season. These happen to both be Viburnums, which I really enjoy. I think I have six varieties now. See how it's just budding out? These are great because not only do they flower, but they produce small berries for the birds to enjoy! I love to help them out, and eventually some of them will get to a substantial size so it will be a screen and a shelter for them.
I saw many signs~ my Potentillas are starting to green up, my trees are starting to swell a bit, my Lilacs are starting to bud a little! Oh~ it's wonderful! I also have to remind myself that it's a tad early to do anything, so don't get too hasty even though the weather has been nice.
Brandon and I have also been discussing what we will be planting this season in our vegetable garden. He is my helper. He is a great planter, he's somewhat willing to test things, but he has issues with textures, smells, and food in general. We will be planting for sure green beans, broccoli, tomatoes, squash, lettuce, and peppers. We will also plant the giant sunflowers for the birds. Last year, we had a HUGE gopher, living under the neighbors' shed, he was big! Guess whos' yard he visited and ate all the sunflowers? We were not happy!
We will also try some of the fun gourds. We have blueberries, a raspberry and a blackberry bush. I am excited to see what they will do! I know I need to add more peat moss to the blueberries though. Anyone have experience with these? I am a newbie when it comes to the fruits and stuff.  It's fun to try different things.
Wish we could do potatoes, but I haven't got a root cellar and don't know how I'd store them all. Hopefully, I haven't bored you too much! I am working on some things for a few swaps I am in. I am excited and looking forward to getting some more done. I have two things completed and more in the works.
Also got to get a plan for our oldest sons' graduation party. We don't do a lot, but we decided this is worth celebrating. He will be going into a special program, but still, it's a big deal. He is a good boy, he's scared, and I understand that too.  I am trying to let go, and I am scared! LOL! So I tell him, We'll be scared together, but we'll  both be learning!
I hope you all have a great week. Thanks for stopping by! God bless!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Renee, sounds like you are going to have lots of treats to eat.8-) We had tomato plants out and the sheep got in and ate them. Have more to put out, hopefully no more sheep vists.
    I remember when my boys graduated, now 39 and 40, how time flies.
    Have a great day!!
    Hugs,
    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are finally seeing signs of spring. I live in the snow belt of Ontario, and this winter was horrendous!!! If it were to snow now, I would cry.

    It is wonderful that you are celebrating a milestone for your son. Wishing him lots of success in his new program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it so fun~ the new life~ thinking of the beds & gardens~
    I am trying to keep my mums covered up~ I don't want to loose them by the frost~ I am so hoping since here in ohio we had a long drawn out Winter~ that when he really warms up~ so that the bushes bloom~ that no frost or freezing rain to ruin them~ I am being hopeful for a beautiful spring bloom year!!!
    smiles
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful here in Iowa. There is talk of the white crap but I choose to ignore that prediction. We did plant 17 hills of potatoes, usually only 6. We also have no place for storing. In the past, I have parboiled them, cut them into steak fries and froze on a cookie sheet. Then put them in ZipLoc bags. You can season and bake them or deep fry them. If you do them smaller than steak fry size, they fall apart. You can also use these to make potato skins. You can also can potatoes. I bake them first them cut into cubes, put in jars and cover with a little salt water. You can do them raw but it takes a lot longer. It's a little more work than most people want to do these days but we are from an ear where people did preserve their food for the future.
    When we were on one of our day trips, we saw where this couple had throw out food scraps to feed a local gopher! It wasn't afraid of people, though I didn't see anyone get close to it and it scurried over an embankment when I tried to get closer pictures. I think they can play havoc in a garden. We had moles a few years ago but drove them off with a mixture of baking soda and vinegar in their runs. You might try some old-fashioned deterrents. We use bar soap to keep birds from roosting on the porch. We use garlic cloves to keep rabbits out of the garden.
    Just make slits in the cloves but don't peel them. tie a couple in a piece of net or muslin and tie onto a stick, hanging low enough for the critters to smell. put sticks along the perimeter of the garden.
    Hope spring comes along as fast as we all want it!
    ★Linda★

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my your baby is becoming a man..Hard for you to ever see it that way..smile..Spring stopped for a visit here today.I'm going to start seeds this evening we don't plant till the end of may.With the cost of food I'm going to can alot more stuff.My mom can help me with what I don't know since I haven't did much.Hope the warmer weather is cheering you up.Hugs!~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can read the excitement in your post, just thinking of getting in those gardens.I cannot wait to see pictures.
    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning girl...I am the same way in early Spring//going out each morning and checking every bush and tree for any sign of green...but here in the South we have already had all our blooming trees and early tulips and daffodills bloom and now the trees are fully leafed out and the azaleas and roses are in full glory..I love fresh grown veggies...I go to the farmers market in the summer and just sigh standing there looking at all that goodness...you'd think I was looking at dishes! lol lol Thanks for coming by sweetie...have a fanstic weekend....Picket

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Renee, Don't you just love seeing everything shoot up out of the ground, truly signs of spring. Well we have skipped spring and gone straight into summer, mid 80's here today and the pollen is killing me. Everything is in full bloom. My clematis vine is just a blooming and my iris's well some have already bloomed and others are starting, my azaleas are blooming as well. Thanks for leaving such a sweet comment on my blog. Vicky

    ReplyDelete