Sunday, August 5, 2012

Garden vegetable soup

Good afternoon! It is beautiful here today, I have been able to have all my windows open, and finally get some fresh air in the home. I did about ten loads of laundry today, and used my clothesline. So nice to have the sun dried linens!
I have been busy, I had to re-measure for my pantry, I was WAY off! Plus, I have to use a different door, so needless to say, I haven't gotten my wood yet. That will be this week hopefully. My brain was not working that well yesterday either, and my son was getting a little irked at me, I could tell. He said, "Mom, it's a good thing you aren't working today". I said "I know". I was off by more than two inches on my measurements!
He had a nice birthday, I made the Garden vegetable soup, it is DELICIOUS by the way! Made the Honey cornbread, DELICIOUS. That was a box mix by Krusteau. Haven't gotten to the actual bread machine, but I am learning how to operate it, so I can test it out soon hopefully.
I also got my two, big braided rugs cleaned. The last time they were cleaned was three years back. Well, the one down by the garage REALLY needed cleaned. These rugs are the kind that you are supposed to be able to just hose them off and they will clean up nice. I used "Tide" on them as well, and I have this green, scrubby broom thing that I use on them. Well, they still stunk! So, I took some vinegar and added that to some water and poured about 4 gallons of this on each rug, Then I laid them over the chairs I have, so hopefully they will dry in a few days.
Got my floors swept, but not mopped~yet.
It is not easy being me, I tell you! I just say, I don't know what is wrong with me anymore, I just can't seem to get it all together. At least, I am always honest about that. I sure do try though!
It is just hard to keep my attention!
I know I am kind of all over, my mind is thinking as I am typing! LOL!
You know, I usually make my own laundry soap, it's economical and it doesn't bug my skin as much, but my mom, well ,she told me she ordered me some things from QVC. I said, "Mom, you DON'T have to do that". She says, "But, I can, and I did, so enough said". I try to reason with her, but she always wins out!
So, I get this box, I open it, and there is a Devotional~ it is WONDERFUL!  Now, she didn't get this from QVC, I think she said she found these at Sams' Club. It is called Jesus Calling by Sarah Young, and I have been SO blessed by this! She actually called me today, and told me she found a companion to it for Brandon. I can't wait for him to get this. But, the other thing, was this set of washer balls, they are good for 1,000 loads of laundry. You put the two balls in the washer, you can use them in any kind, you can use your softener and/or vinegar if you choose. Now, you still have to pre-treat stains ahead of time, but I am telling you, I was impressed! The way you "refresh" them is you put them out in the sun for a few hours, or stick them in a sunny window. I guess they sell out every time they are on the air.
I always try and pass along little tid bits.
I picked green beans and some zucchini in the garden, also a small cluster of tomatoes.
I made this soup and it was SO good, everyone liked it, except Brandon, of course. Mr. Picky!
Here is the recipe, you can tweak it with whatever type of vegetables, and next time, I think I will also add tomatoes to it as well. You could also probably add some corn starch to thicken it up if you wanted, and chicken too.
I will also add, that prepping is KEY to this, because it is done in stages, and things go BOOM, FAST!
^ 2 T olive oil or butter~ I used Olive Oil
^ 1 1/2 C of chopped carrots
^1 1/2 C chopped celery
^2 C of chopped onions
^2 T minced garlic
^ 8 OZ Button mushrooms~ wiped and quartered
^ 4 qts of chicken, beef or vegetable stock
^ 6 sprigs fresh parsley
^1 1/2 tsp salt~ I added more and I also use Mortons' Nature Seasonings
^3/4 tsp fresh ground pepper~ again, I added a bit more.
^ 2 C of broccoli or cauliflower florets
^ 1 C each of chopped zucchini, and yellow squash~ I used more.
At the end, you can add 1/2 C of Parmesean  cheese if you desire.
Heat Olive oil in 6 Qt. Soup pot over high heat.
Add onions, celery and carrots, stirring frequently for two minutes.
Add Mushrooms, garlic, and parsley, cook for three minutes.
Add Stock, salt, pepper, broccoli, and rest.
Cover and bring to a boil. Remove cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for twelve minutes, Remove the parsley sprigs, and serve with cheese. It is quite delicious!
I hope that you will enjoy it and please let me know if you try it. It was a big hit here.
Well, I am off to see what else I can get into. I have enjoyed my weekend though.
God bless you!

3 comments:

  1. Soup sounds yummy.Will try it in the fall.Love having soup simmering on the stove for a lazy weekend when the temps cool down.Warm Blessings!~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe. Since our gardens are full of vegetables it's perfect timing! Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee,

    We love Jesus Calling! I bet the companion one she's speaking of is the one for children. Joy uses it everyday. We actually like it EVEN BETTER than the adult one because it is very adequate for adults too! You will enjoy it with him! It's such a blessing!

    And thanks for the recipe...sounds good!

    Can't wait to see what you do with your pantry (and the door you choose). We just started a new project. It keeps growing! lol!

    Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete