Wednesday, May 4, 2011
More happenings in the Garden
I decided to get out and take some pictures while it isn't raining! We are due for rain it looks like the rest of the week! I do apologize here, I am usually better about my fall cleanup, but we were doing some projects and I didn't get to that with my peonies and things, BUT that actually turned into a blessing because I learned something new there!
Anyhow~this is the front yard. This is our humble home. I need to paint the trim, that will be this year. I wanted to show you the tree closest to the street. This is one of my projects for this year. I am going to make a big bed here. We will place rocks like the other bed, which actually, I need to expand that one as well, so we will see!
I would like to put something substantial here~ as to block out my neighbors! Especially the one directly across the street! Long story and long history, but let's say, she burned her bridge with me! I have forgiven, but I won't be going back for more! I had to really work through some things, and well, it's still hurtful to me, when I see her, but I have to move on.
My birdlady friend, the one that I help out, she is suggesting that I place some type of creeping evergreen there, which I like, but then that means I still would have to look that way, and so I am not sure!
Sometimes, I wish I could just build a big fortress around our home! I know that sounds awful, but some of our neighbors are real jerks and that is why I have planted all these shrubs so I don't have to look at them!
Actually, there are really only three of them that we don't care for. Moving on...
We have three Ash trees in front, two of them were planted when we built our home, and the third one was planted about 4 years ago now.
You can see, our Spring is behind, still no leaves yet, buds, but no leaves! I need to get out here and chop the peonies back, some of the perennials! I leave some things up for winter feeding purposes.
This year I have lots of dividing to do, Sedum, salvia, catmint. All have to be divided. You can see my bleeding hearts~ I also need to move them, I know they dislike it, so I will wait until they are done, but they get too much sun where they are, and I want to move them in back. I have one white bleeding heart, and I would like to get more of them as well, it's only up about two inches.
I did notice and you might be able to see, I have Candytuft, and it's starting to bloom, it's SO pretty! I love it. Brandon has been enjoying the Hyacinths this year, and the tulips are starting to bloom as well as some of the other daffodils.
Don't mind my windows! The blinds will be getting replaced st some point. Zipper has ruined them! I want to get wooden ones in there too because he can't wreck them! One of the things my husband and I did was install the fencing there in the front. We did this back in the late summer. I primed and painted it all, and then we installed it. I really like it! I may add something to the front like a wreath or something. What I have behind it are peonies and roses.
Everyday, it's more and more things coming to life! I just get so thrilled, I am sure it's boring to some, but to me, it's part of what keeps me going. I will share more pictures as time allows. I am hoping that by my next weekend off, I can at least get some things planted in the vegetable garden.
This year we are doing potatoes,broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts. That will be first, then it will be green beans, cucumbers, zucchini, squash, tomatoes and peppers. Last year, I didn't have good luck with the peppers, I didn't get very many. I am going to give it another whirl this year. We haven't done potatoes before, but I want to try! I got the Yukon Gold potatoes. Does anyone have any thoughts on Asparagus? I haven't tried growing it, is it fairly easy? Any special tips? Oh~ I forgot that we were going to do buttercrunch lettuce! Variety is the spice of life!
If anyone has any tips on shrubs or things that I can put in this new front bed, I am open! I want to get it right! Thanks to everyone for welcoming Shirlee! She's a real sweet lady.I hope that everyone has a great week!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I just love the pictures Renee ... thank you so much for posting them! Your home looks so nice &, well, homey! I love the little fence out front & the trees & that little weathered birdhouse you have stuck in one of the beds : ) I can't wait to see all the flowers in bloom ... I'm sure it's breathtaking!
ReplyDeleteRenee, love all the pictures!!! No help on shurbs.... I love all flowers. I think I have one burning bush and the weeping cherry tree, otherwise, I have mostly perinnals in my flower beds... Good Luck! OLm
ReplyDeleteAsh trees are always last to leaf out and first to drop leaves. The best thing about them is the leaves shatter and you don't have to rake them!
ReplyDeleteWe have asparagus. Just follow the planting instructions-pretty simple. You harvest when the patch is 3 years old. It gets bigger every year. You can cut until about June 1--then it gets woody and you need to let it reseed itself. We sure love our patch. Good luck!
★Linda★
Please consider removing the word verification.
Instructions are on my side bar.
Hi Renee~
ReplyDeleteLove all your pictures of your pretties coming to life. We are also behind here. My tulips haven't even bloomed yet.
Enjoy your day~Becky
We are behind here too, but day by day the yard is changing:)
ReplyDeleteYour yard reminds me of mine, I have a small picket fence up by the entrance of my home too(on the driveway side) and I have planting beds throughout the yard. I too am trying to find ways to block the neighbors, I'm just not a neighborhood type person, but you have to bloom where you are planted and try to make the best of it. I have slowly been planting white pines and willow bushes on the side of my property to block my next door neighbor(I tried my hardest to be her friend, but she just hates me for some reason and I have now given up trying). So I can understand where you are coming from.
I can't give much yard advice as I'm still a newbie at gardening, but it is fun to see how things come back bigger and prettier each year, so keep planting and good luck with your plans for this year.
Renee you have a beautiful home. Love it all. I am so not a gardener. all this land and I just have a few hardy things!(daylillies are my best friend. They take no care lol)
ReplyDeletebetty
Renee I wish I could help you out but even though I love flowers I'm not a good gardner. I would love to put a fence up on certain sides of my house as well. Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteEverything looks great ~ it will be beautiful when everything blooms.
Prim Blessings
Robin
Renee~ We have one of those neighbors too.I can't wait to get my veggies in,been too wet and cold.I did put out spring onions,radishes,baby carrots and lettuce.I do flowers so can't help much with shrubs.We have used the tall grass to sheild veiws.It looks nice in the winter to because it drys.Well sweetie you have a great weekend! Can't wait to see what you get from Robin.Hugs!~Amy
ReplyDeleteRenee
ReplyDeleteYour home is so pretty~ love the landscaping!!!
Pretties popping up everyhwere!
smiles
Teresa
Hi Renee, Your gardens are going to be beautiful when bloomed!!! Im planning my gardens today too. Your veg garden sounds yummy!!! Enjoy your day ~Kimberly
ReplyDeleteSeeing a garden unfold as it comes to life is so rewarding. I never find it boring. I so want to surround this homestead as you called it a fortress. The neighbors are all my hubby's family. I am not well liked by them. I have peas & onions planted. They are up about three inches. Green beans are my next to plant then peppers & toms. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteLara
Hi Renee, I enjoyed your pics. You have a beautiful home and I love your rock beds.
ReplyDeleteMy nearest neighbor is a mile away. Sometimes that seems too close.8-)
Blessings,
Lorna