Friday, July 1, 2011
Happy Independence Day and other random thoughts
Good morning everyone! I would like to say, that I just slept for about 10 hours straight and that was a record for me! I was beat! I am feeling refreshed, although it's pretty blasted hot out there, I will have to see how long I last today! I thought I would re-post a picture from my swap with Sheila, the picture came up sideways, I am sorry about that. Aren't these sweet though? Thank you Sheila!
I wanted to post a few things to get some opinions from you all. Ok~ about three weeks ago now, I guess, we sunk this treated post in the ground near my potting shed, the plan is to place a giant birdhouse on top of it, in fact it's mostly white with a cherry red~pretty close to the color of the shutters there roof. Now, with all this in mind, would you paint the post white, or leave it as is? I think it's stained to match my arbor, which I thought might look alright, but not certain. I am hoping to get my clematis planted here today, I think it should have plenty of room, don't you? The other vine there is my Autumn Revolution Bittersweet.
Next up, as you all know, I have been working in my garage now, and while it's a lot of work, I am finding some things I haven't seen in awhile now. This I could see, but couldn't get to it. I have had this doll bed for a number of years now, I have the high chair that matches it. It's painted this green, which I like, but it's quite messy, and it constantly flakes off, I am not worried about lead, but I also have a cat that is curious and I don't want him eating paint chips! I am thinking of putting this downstairs, and have had some dilemma about painting it or not. Sometimes, for me, well most times, it's a matter of WHERE to put it literally! Now, keep in mind my downstairs is more cottage~ the walls are a buttercream yellow, and I have white wainscotting. You can go back to see pictures of some of it. I was thinking of trying a colonial blue for the crib and possibly the highchair. I would usually go with red, but I am trying to expand my horizons! But, I also found a beautiful gray~ yes~ I said gray, LOL! Wondered about that as well.
Here are some things happening in my garden, I couldn't take pictures in front because the sprinklers happen to be running right now, so wasn't going to do it.
I have my Kashmir rose there blooming, plus the white ones are called Snowdrift, I found my tags in the shed.
Roses are SUPER easy to grow, and people are always afraid of them. I LOVE them!
Look at my astilbes! Aren't they fun? They always make me smile! That is why I bought 5 more! LOL! They were half price, only $2.00 each, so I splurged a little! I have some open spaces, I was thinking and planning, I have decided to put my Aborvitae where the space between the dwarf Lilac is, I think it will give a nice textural contrast, and much needed height. I may try and snag another next week, when things will be even more discounted! I have a lot to move, but I am hoping to do so slowly. My shastas started blooming, I will be moving some of them, and also, my neighbor that I help out, is giving me some Spireas to act as fillers too! Isn't that sweet of her?
I guess we are having summer now, the heat index yesterday was 107! It was too hot for me! I used to handle that stuff better, but I just can't as well.
I hope you all have a wonderful July 4th! I will get the day off, but I am working this weekend, it's my weekend. We work every other one. Gotta get to the post office today. I will see you sometime soon. Thanks for stopping by! As I slowly inch my way to more followers, I will plan a little something.
God bless!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Renee! I'm not a Halloween person but I love that pillow you got in your swap! If your birdhouse was rustic (unpainted wood) I'd say leave the pole as is ... but since it's painted white with a red roof, then I think you ought to paint the pole white as well. Would the cat really eat paint chips? Seems like an odd thing for a cat to do. I hate to paint old things ... would rather keep them "as is" ... but if the cat will indeed eat the chips then I guess you have no choice but to paint the crib & high chair. Could you paint them the same type of green? A nursery in Frankfort is having a "buy 1, get 1 free" sale this weekend. Maybe on Sunday John & I will go there & see what they've got. The photos of your gardens look great! A heat index of 107? Ugh! I hope that's not going to be the case here today! Blessings Shirlee
ReplyDeleteRenee... Now that's a fun yard! I spy of old ringer washer in the back ground!!!
ReplyDeleteLove the swap goodies! I don't know why but I am always drawn toa all things fall and Halloween!
Now I would paint the post... Ther furniture.. what about lightly sandign it, then sealing with a clear varinsh to stop the chipping? good luck! OLM
Love your swap goodies Renee - but you know I would! Your yard is looking gorgeous! I love astilbes too - but we have too much sun here for them to do well...but I tried several times!! Hmmmm....I would typically say leave the post painted, but agree with Shirlee - if the birdhouse is painted, and if it's going to be close to the shed with the red and white painted trims, then I'd paint it. And I agree with OLM on the crib - I like the color it is and would only lightly sand and seal it....(Least you have a consensus forming!) Stay cool....Hot, hot, hot here too!! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin
ReplyDeleteI looove that stocking you got!!! I'd paint the pole the same color as the birdhouse.The crib is a tough decision if you ever want to sell it they'll want original but if you plan to keep it go with what you like.Hope you have a wonderful weekend!~Amy
ReplyDeleteHi Renee, your yard looks so good. You are certainly a "gardener". Your sawp goodies are neat. I wouldn't touch the doll bed. do you thin the cat would actually eat paint chips?
ReplyDeletebetty
Happe 4th of July to you, too!
ReplyDelete